If you want to help animals in our community, you may want to volunteer at the SVACA Animal Care Center. We always need dedicated individuals who love animals and want to make a difference. You can do this by helping us achieve our goal of saving all healthy and treatable animals. You can also help us see to it that all of our animals receive the highest quality of care possible.
Volunteers are asked to take their commitment seriously. If you are 18 years of age or older, you may socialize and exercise the animals at our center. If you are 13-17 years old, you may socialize and exercise animals as long as you partner with a parent or legal guardian at all times. Young people under the age of 13 cannot work directly with animals but other volunteer opportunities may exist through the Friends of SVACA.
- Represent SVACA in a professional and positive manner, while being respectful and courteous to the public and staff;
- Commit to at least two hours a week for 6 months and keep to a schedule;
- Wear an apron and a nametag when you are volunteering;
- Follow our safety and security rules;
- Agree in concept with the mission statement of SVACA.
All volunteers must first attend an orientation at our Animal Care Center. Please note that if you are 13-17 years of age, a parent or guardian that will be volunteering with you must also attend the orientation.
Our next orientations will be held in the spring and registration links will be posted on our events calendar. If you'd like to be notified when the registration links are posted, please sign-up for enotify.
Here are just a few of the opportunities we offer.
- Cat Volunteer: Exercise, groom, and socialize adoptable cats.
- Dog Volunteer: Train, exercise and groom adoptable dogs.
- Education Docent: Give group presentations on animal care and welfare to students, clubs, etc.
- Small Animal Volunteer: Care for and keep our rabbits and other small animals happy and healthy.
- Special Events: Help us organize, schedule, set-up, and table at community events.